🤑 11 Nov 2023: Al Jazeera > AJ: Do you consider yourself to be a mass murderer? - #Indonesia

 By Aisyah Llewellyn
Published On 11 Nov 2023
11 Nov 2023

Patek: Yes. I feel that I am a murderer and a sinner.

I have apologised to the victims of the Bali bombing several times and met with the families of the victims of the bombing, too. I told them I was sorry. 

Everyone who has met with me in person has forgiven me. 

When I meet victims, I say, “I am Umar Patek and I was involved in the Bali bombing,” then I explain why I was there, and apologise.

Some people don’t want to meet me and don’t want to forgive me, like people from Australia. That is their right, but my responsibility as a Muslim, and someone who has done wrong, is to apologise. I don’t know if I will be forgiven, only God knows that.

I did not say sorry to get out of prison early, but everything is always wrong in other people’s eyes. If I say sorry, people say I am pretending and it is a strategic choice. If I didn’t apologise, people would say I was arrogant.
-

Post a Comment

0 Comments